Pages

Friday 5 August 2011

Abraham Lincoln Quotes

Abraham Lincoln who was born on February 12, 1809 was the sixteenth President of the United States who successfully led the country through the Civil War. However he was assassinated within less than a month after the war ended. While he served his term as the president, he helped preserve the United States, introduced measures to abolish slavery, which included the famousEmancipation Proclamation in 1863 and promoting the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution in 1865. Here are some Abraham Lincoln quotes, which speak volumes of his intellectual ability and his determination for the betterment of his countrymen as well as fellow human beings around the globe.
  • A friend is one who has the same enemies as you have.

  • All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind

  • Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

  • Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

  • Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

  • Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.

  • Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

  • Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow

  • I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.

  • Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.

  • As our case is new, we must think and act anew.

  • Avoid popularity if you would have peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment